Diversity & Inclusion Specialist
Walker-Miller Energy Services is a 20-year-old Detroit-based, core-values driven company committed to changing lives through energy efficiency. We create and manage customized energy waste reduction programs that help electric and gas utilities meet mandated energy savings goals.
Our experience driven philosophy of energy efficiency as economic development helps families and businesses save energy and save money. Through innovative, inclusive initiatives, we help build communities by creating local jobs, producing sustainable energy savings for all rate payers, and spurring the growth of diverse local businesses.
Our operating philosophy is reflected in our core values. We refer to them as B-Hive.
B - Boldly Go
H - Humble Confidence
I - Inclusive Stewardship
V - Value Reputation
E - Extraordinary Experience
The Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Specialist is primarily responsible for developing sustainable relationships with diverse community-based partner organizations, groups, and networks in the Utility client’s service territory and introducing them to opportunities in energy efficiency. The D&I Specialist coordinates initiatives designed to promote Utility client and its services to a more diverse group of constituents and administer programs aimed at addressing the energy efficiency related needs of the area. This position serves as an organization liaison to diverse business and residential constituents, in collaboration with partners who are passionate about energy efficiency and making a positive impact on the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
• Embrace and operate within the core values.
• Identify diverse vendors/suppliers to participate in procurement opportunities in the Utility client service territory.
• Increase the number of certified businesses eligible for Utility client procurement opportunities.
• Increase the diversity profile of Utility client customers who participate in its energy efficiency programs.
• Create and staff direct-to-customers outreach opportunities including meetings of varied size and scope, presentations, and events.
• Document, measure, and track results continuous process improvement
• Create and modify documents using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Education and Experience:
• Preferred Bachelor’s degree in Community Relations, Marketing, Supply Chain, Logistics, Business Management, or a discipline in energy or related field.
• 3+ years of experience working with students ages 12-18 in an educational setting.
• 3+ years of experience in the energy efficiency field in a supportive role
• Minimum 1 year of supply chain/sourcing experience procuring products/services from diverse suppliers/vendors.
• 3+ years of experience designing and/or implementing workforce development programs.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Proficient use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Ability to work with an inclusive group of stakeholders to drive effective communication strategies.
• Experience working directly in and with diverse communities.
• Proven ability to connect and build relationships with multiple stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to drive success by developing and implementing effective strategies and processes.
Licenses & Certifications:
• Driver’s License required.
• 15% maximum travel required.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
• Required to sit, stand, walk; talk and hear.
• Ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
• Noise level is typically moderate.
More Opportunities View All