Operations Specialist- Bloomington IL
The Operations Specialist is responsible for driving operational excellence across Apex Clean Energy’s assets in Illinois by ensuring all sites’ peak performance. The Operations Specialist will be responsible for electrical work in the maintenance, operation, and repair of substations, and other Balance of Plant electrical equipment while supporting a region-wide team of Site and Facility Managers at various utility-scale wind and solar sites. Reporting directly to the Director of Operations within our Asset Management department, this position will utilize comprehensive project planning and management practices to proactively monitor, anticipate, and circumvent risk to ensure safety, minimize down time and consistently deliver exceptional results for our clients.
- Perform advanced and highly skilled electrical work in the maintenance, operation, and repair of substations, and other Balance of Plant electrical equipment
- Monitor and operates the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) System controlling the electric distribution system and switching
- Apply knowledge of electronics and electrical systems to diagnose and correct problems
- Evaluate and monitor abnormal system conditions, monitoring routine preventative maintenance programs; establishing and maintaining routine operating procedures
- Use various electrical test equipment and instruments such as: meggers, portable transformer gas analyzers, volt meters, resistivity and conductivity meters, current meters, etc., as maintenance aids in performing troubleshooting and non-destructive testing of substations
- Evaluate the work and performance of others
- Provide regional support to site managers as needed at project sites located just south and east of Bloomington, Illinois. There will be occasional travel to support other Illinois projects from time to time as needed.
To succeed as an Operations Specialist at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college
- At least five years of professional experience in the maintenance of overhead, underground, and other Balance of Plant electrical systems on wind and solar facilities
- Extensive knowledge of all substation equipment including electrical, mechanical, and control equipment
- Protection and control experience with microprocessor relay communication and event analysis
- Knowledge to perform advanced and highly skilled electrical work in the maintenance, operation, and repair of substations, and other Balance of Plant electrical equipment
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead programs / projects.
- Ability to document, plan, market, and execute programs.
- Established project management skills.
- Ability to live and work from the Southeastern Texas region (Harlingen or Corpus Christi, Texas) and provide support to all projects within region.
- Ability to travel up to 50% between project sites in the state of Illinois.
More Opportunities View All