Senior Engineer (Energy/Building Scientist)
Opinion Dynamics is a firm known for the excellence of our team and our commitment to a corporate culture that fosters innovative thought, growth and enrichment opportunities, passionate employees, collegiality, and collaboration!
We are seeking a motivated, passionate, and collaborative engineer, proficient in the building energy field and experienced in whole building science, to join our team of energy engineers. The right person for this job has a mix of technical and interpersonal skills, and an interest in developing technical systems and processes, solving complex problems, automating numerical solutions, and evaluating energy efficiency, electrification, decarbonization, greenhouse gas (GHG), and other innovative technologies and programs.
About the team
The Engineering team is a dynamic group of individuals working closely with our core consulting, data analytics, and data management teams to derive intriguing, challenging, and methodologically unique innovative solutions. As a member of this team, you will help design, manage, and execute technical research and analysis to help our clients advance electrification, decarbonization, and traditional energy efficiency programs and strategies across the country. You will work in a variety of roles on multiple projects with colleagues from different disciplines, contribute to business development initiatives to help expand our growing portfolio of cutting-edge research, and support the expansion of a dynamic engineering team within the company.
Duties and Responsibilities
Our ideal candidate for this role is a problem solver who relishes and can thrive in the dynamic environment of a collaborative consulting firm and is excited to work with multidisciplinary peers. Your responsibilities will include:
- Designing and executing research studies and tasks to estimate and/or evaluate the energy, demand, and GHG impacts of electrification and energy efficiency technologies and programs
- Designing, guiding, and directing Evaluation, Measurement, and Verification (EM&V) of traditional energy efficiency portfolios including deemed and custom program elements, using our unique system approach to evaluation that combines data management, data analytics, programming, and engineering analyses
- Conducting project/measure-specific analysis of custom projects using appropriate M&V methods
- Designing and managing on-site M&V research, including the development of data collection protocols, management of data collection and analysis activities, and reporting research methods, findings, and recommendations
- Supporting the maintenance, updates, and development of Technical Reference Manuals and conducting deemed measure reviews
- Using building energy modeling (BEM) prototypes and site-specific tools to model equipment, end-use, and whole building energy consumption for evaluation, and for special studies to assess alternative building and system designs and demand side interventions
- Producing high quality, client-ready reports based on sound engineering methods and findings
- Performing technical reviews of research and reporting products to ensure technical accuracy and clarity and identifying valuable insights and opportunities for clients
- Leveraging your experience working with and knowledge of building and equipment Codes and Standards
- Providing technical expertise to clients and colleagues to support proposals, research tasks, and other client or company deliverables
- Working collaboratively with a team of engineers, project managers, statisticians, survey designers, programmers and other research and consulting staff on a variety of research tasks
- Supporting business development activities by developing technical methods for new project opportunities and demonstrating technical expertise and thought leadership through industry channels
We’re looking for someone with a dynamic toolkit, who demonstrates strong technical, consulting, and interpersonal skills, and is passionate about research and analysis to support a clean energy future.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, building science, quantitative social science, or related field
- Minimum of 6 years of experience related to evaluating energy efficiency projects and programs
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Excel and related tools
- Proficiency with building energy codes, including ASHRAE, IECC, and California’s Title 24
- Understanding of the engineering principles underlying building and equipment energy use
- Familiarity with the technologies and strategies to advance energy efficiency and electrification
- Proficiency with methods for estimating and evaluating energy and demand savings including IPMVP and UMP protocols, building and equipment modeling, weather and load bin analysis, trend data analysis, and on-site M&V for a variety of equipment and systems.
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic and ability to manage multiple time-sensitive priorities
- Strong interest in problem-solving and developing strategies to help clients meet evolving efficiency, electrification, decarbonization, and grid management goals
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Qualifications (not required)
- Advanced degree engineering, building science, data science, or related field
- P.E., CEM, and related licenses and certifications
- Experience with California’s energy efficiency programs and California impact evaluation protocols
- Experience with software and database tools (e.g., python, R, SQL)
- Experience with grid modernization, modeling, management, and related analyses to support integration of distributed energy resources and load flexibility
- Experience with building performance and energy simulation modeling software and analysis (e.g., CBECC-Res/Comm, EnergyPro, PHIUS)
- Experience with building design, construction, and/or management including the design and implementation of demand-side management strategies
- Experience contributing to proposals and business development efforts
Preferred: Boston, Oakland, Other (remote) locations for the right candidate
About Opinion Dynamics
Opinion Dynamics advances knowledge to address emerging energy and social issues through sound and insightful research. Our inter-disciplinary team of consultants develops actionable and insightful research to support an array of clients, including electric and gas utilities, regulators, and stakeholders. Our research supports planning, assessment, and optimizing energy efficiency, demand response, and renewable energy programs. Our team uses a customized approach leveraging innovative methodologies to answer our client’s questions. Our company fosters innovative thought, collegiality, and growth opportunities for our employees.
Opinion Dynamics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Opinion Dynamics is also committed to fostering a more diverse workforce. BIPOC, women, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All employees must provide proof of vaccination or schedule vaccine appointment(s) within 30 days of hire.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please apply on our website: https://opiniondynamics.com/jobs/senior-energy-engineer-building-scientist/
More Opportunities View All